Log In
Register

Miami Baptist Church

Logansport, IN

Contact
Miami Baptist Church

1368 N County Road 600 E
Logansport, IN 46947

Ph: (574) 753-0313
Sunday Services
Sunday School
9:00 am
Worship Service
10:00 am
Evening Worship (Casual)
5:00 pm
Weekly Events
Sundays
5:00 pm - Choir Practice
Mondays
4:30 pm - Stretching For the Lord! (exercise group)
Tuesdays
6:30 pm - Bible Study
Wednesdays
4:30 pm - Stretching For the Lord! (exercise group)

Brief History of Miami Baptist Church

On July 25, 1842, a group of friends and neighbors desiring a church body of their own in which to hold regular monthly meetings, discipline, receive and dismiss members who resided within their bounds, established the Eel River Branch of the Logansport Baptist Church. Services were often held in "houses of the brethren", the Reed School, or sometimes in the woods. Donations of money, labor and grain were given toward the building project. The building would be erected adjacent to the Miami Baptist Cemetery located about a mile southeast of the present building location. The structure was to be a small frame building, the size of which was 28 feet by 36 feet. On July 22, 1843 a contract was let for the building and in May of 1844 the church was dedicated as the Eel River Branch of the Logansport Baptist Church.

Elder William M. Pratt, a young man of great speaking ability, awakened an interest in the Lord and could well be called the founder of this church. In early years local leadership was devoted people of local residence.

By 1863, church membership had greatly diminished without regular pastorial leaders, reaching a low state of religious enjoyment.

In 1872, observance of "The Lord's Supper" was adopted and set to be held the first Sunday of every month.

In 1879, J. G. Tedford, a school teacher from Burnettsville, was secured as pastor. In this same year it was voted to build a brick structure 36 by 45 feet at the present location. One and one half acres of land was purchased from Joe Gingrich at a price of $20.00. The bricks for the church were burned at Floyd Swigart's place. Margaret Moore's grandfather did all the stone and brick work. Sam Carr did all the wood working. The building was 12 feet high and had eleven windows and two doors. There were two wood burning stoves used for heat. One stove was on each side of the center aisle. The inside ceiling conformed to the outside roof line. Wood shutters and blinds were on all the windows. Horse hitch-racks and abutments were installed on three sides around the exterior of the church lot. On July 4, 1879, the Miami Baptist Church was dedicated.

Notices of the first dedication were to be published in "The Journal and Messenger of Cincinnati"; "Standard of Chicago"; "Logansport Journal" and "Logansport Pharos Tribune."

In 1887 the church was damaged by a windstorm to the extent of forty to fifty dollars.

In April of 1893, Sister Henson arranged for the organization of the Women's Mission Circle.

June, 1893, Brother Samuel Brown was appointed to collect money for putting up more hitching racks. In December of the same year, Brother Monroe Kinder declared there would be no entertainment of any kind allowed in the church when an admission fee was charged at the door.

Church Treasurer's Report - January 3, 1899
"The amount collected for Brother Bender's Salary since he first began to preach for the church was $437.40. The amount paid to him was $426.40. Amount on hand in the treasury is $11.00. Amount collected for church expenses was $6.97. The amount paid out was ninety-seven cents. Balance on Hand $6.00."
From 1893 to 1899, the following needs of the church were met:
  • A woodhouse was needed for the church. A small mill building across the road was purchased at a cost of $17.00 and was moved behind the church.
  • A well was put in for $3.05.
  • Brother Shidler, the sexton for the cemetery, was paid $3.20 for his services.
  • Oil for kerosene lamps was purchased for forty-five cents. After several complaints from the ladies of the church, chimneys were put up to prevent the stoves from smoking.
  • Ranks of wood were purchased at a cost of seventy-five cents per rank.
  • The church building was insured through the Phoenix Insurance Company for $1000 and the furniture and fixtures were insured for $200. The term of the policy was for five years at a cost of $18.00 premium.
  • Replacement was sought for the Clerk's position, due to the vacancy created at the death of Brother Berry who had served in that position for 35 years as a faithful servant of God.
  • Improvements were done. The platform in the church was extended to the north wall. Church members were asked to donate chairs for the seating of the choir.
  • A full time pastor was hired. The congregation even purchased a "used" rubber-tired buggy for him. Cost of the buggy was $65.00, which included the harness and robe.
  • In the fall of the year, the congregation would all go to an area called "Seven Sections." They would spend the whole day. The women would prepare a lunch while the men would cut wood to heat the church for the winter.
  • Church discipline of members at Miami Baptist was very, very rigid. By unanimous vote, the"right hand of Christian Fellowship" was sometimes withheld or sometimes rescinded. The church membership rolls sometimes contained one or more reasons for dismissal. "Fellowship withheld for immoral character, disorderly walk, dancing or attending dances, unchristian quarreling and intoxication, and general untruthfulness." Charges were often investigated by a committee of two or three persons over a period of one to three months. "Members could be restored to full fellowship by admission of guilt before the entire church body, showing repentance and requesting forgiveness." Action became a matter of permanent record.
1913
the old organ was replaced with a brand new piano. New pews and new exterior doors were donated.
1962
the price of a half pint of milk had soared to five and a half cents. The average attendance at the church per Sunday was 108.
1964
Easter song books were purchased for the choir. A parsonage was purchased along with a new piano. Stained glass windows were donated. A sound system was installed. Five new converts were baptized in the Eel River. Charles K. Michael, local attorney, was hired to get Miami Baptist Church Incorporated.
1965
choir robes were purchased.
1966
Miami Baptist Church was honored to be selected as the recipient of the Town and Country Church of the year Award, for a church in a community of less than 10,000 people. This was a state wide award, with Miami Baptist Church the only winner in its class for that year.
1969
thirteen new converts were baptized using the baptistry at Metea Baptist Church.
1971
an electric Wurlitzer organ was donated.
1974
folding partitions were installed, new nursery equipment was purchased, and an "outside" sign was put in place.
1975
padded pews were added. Podium lights were donated.
From the Church Records:
April 6, 1893
The committee recommended that Brother Thomas Herring be advised to close his store on the Sabbath except in case of sickness or death.
December 2, 1893
On a motion of Brother Monroe Kinder, it was resolved that...hereafter, no entertainment of any character will be allowed in the church when an admission fee is charged at the door.
April 30, 1898
The subject of the misdoings of the young people during Sunday evening services was discussed. The matter was left to the trustees. Volunteers from among the brethren agreed to take turns in keeping order.
September 1, 1901
The matter of delegates to the association was discussed and it was decided that the first members in attendance at the association shall be considered "Delegates."
November 26, 1904
Brother Berry stated that a mistake had been made at the church cemetery by some person being buried on the wrong lot and that the trustees of the church would take legal steps to remove the same.